Ryan C. Granholm
Ryan represents energy companies in regulatory proceedings, transactional matters, and state and federal trial and appellate courts. Prior to rejoining ArentFox Schiff, Ryan served as a Staff Attorney in the Trial Division at the Illinois Commerce Commission, where he gained significant experience litigating public utility commission proceedings involving electric, gas, water, and telephone companies. He participated in several of the first docketed proceedings to implement the Illinois Climate and Equitable Jobs Act (CEJA) as well as high profile utility ethics investigations.
- Ryan represented two pipeline companies in contested public utility commission proceedings, helping win approval for expansion of the pipelines’ capacity.
- Ryan conducted due diligence for wind farm operators and financiers to confirm compliance with local, state, and federal environmental and land use regulations.
- Ryan crafted and implemented a strategy for state environmental rulemakings and related litigation. He second-chaired the firm’s representation of electric generators in a state coal ash rulemaking, helped win dismissal of a federal water pollution suit, and successfully defended that dismissal on appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Ryan helped plan and execute challenges to new Clean Air Act rules in federal appellate court, resulting in a stay and eventual reconsideration of the rules.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- “Federal Hydrogen Funding Program Lifts Off,” ArentFox Schiff Energy & Cleantech Counsel (Nov. 15, 2022)
- “US Fish & Wildlife Service Hatches Rule to Ease Permitting for Energy Projects,” ArentFox Schiff Energy & Cleantech Counsel (Nov. 1, 2022)
- “Illinois Considers Measures to Encourage New Electric Transmission,” ArentFox Schiff Energy & Cleantech Counsel (Oct. 10, 2022)
- “Key Supreme Court Cases to Watch in Administrative and Environmental Law,” Schiff Hardin Energy & Environmental Law Adviser (Sept. 30, 2022)
- “Lame-Duck Rules Could Loosen Migratory Bird Restrictions,” Schiff Hardin Energy & Environmental Law Adviser (Dec. 1, 2020)
- “Election 2020: Congressional Review Act Could Allow for Quick Regulatory Reversals,” (co-author) Schiff Hardin Energy & Environmental Law Adviser (Nov. 18, 2020)
- “Primer and Practice: The Illinois Commerce Commission,” Chicago Bar Association, YLS Environmental Law Committee, Webinar (Oct. 5, 2021)
Pro Bono Work
- In connection with Lawndale Christian Legal Center, Ryan successfully defended a client against weapons charges in juvenile criminal court.
- Represented pro bono client in contested federal civil rights suit, leading briefing efforts for cross-motions for summary judgment.
- Ryan is a volunteer mentor in the Chicago Bar Association’s Law Student Career Immersion Mentoring Program.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of Illinois
- US District Court, Western District of Michigan
Notre Dame Law School, JD, magna cum laude, 2015Indiana University, BA, with Distinction, 2012