Stephen M. Copenhaver
Steve appears on behalf of his clients in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Drawing on his deep and broad experience, Steve is a conscientious adviser, strategist, negotiator and, when necessary, courtroom advocate. In all instances, Steve works hard to find effective and efficient solutions to meet his clients’ overall strategic goals.
Steve represents clients in the juvenile products, financial services, banking, agricultural equipment, chemical, industrial products, aviation, consumer electronics, and glass industries. His practice focuses on product liability and general litigation and includes the following:
- Litigated more than 50 civil conspiracy cases to trial-ready status through all phases of pre-trial proceedings. Directed day-to-day discovery and case management strategy, including the development of medical causation and expert strategy, and coordinated, drafted, and argued pre-trial and dispositive motions.
- Acts as national coordinating counsel for an industrial products company and is responsible for the coordination and implementation of his client’s overall case-resolution strategy.
- Regularly represents a leading manufacturer of juvenile products in personal injury and wrongful death cases throughout the country.
- Secured summary judgment or dismissal before class certification in federal “no-injury” consumer class actions in Florida and South Carolina.
- Investigated numerous fire scenes and artifact analyses, often demonstrating to a potential plaintiff’s attorney why his client’s product could not have caused the fire.
Steve is active in the firm’s pro bono practice, representing clients in disputes ranging from family law to civil rights through the firm’s partnership with Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS).
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- Emerging Lawyer, Law Bulletin Publishing Company's Leading Lawyers (2016-2020)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- Oregon Bar
- Washington Bar
- Wisconsin Bar
- US District Court, Northern District of Florida
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court, District of Oregon
- US District Court, Western District of Washington
Notre Dame Law School, JD, Dean's List, Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics & Public Policy, Editorial Staff, 2008Oregon State University, BA, Political Science, with distinction, 2005